BBQ PIPIS TOSSED IN A GARLIC BUTTER WITH LEMON, CAPERS AND TARRAGON
- 1kg Goolwa pipis
- 100g butter
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons baby capers, drained
- zest and juice of a lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- To make the garlic butter, place butter in a small saucepan over a medium low heat until melted. Add garlic and capers and cook gently for 5 minutes or until capers start to soften and fall apart. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly before adding lemon juice and pepper.
- Preheat barbecue to high.
- Place pipis straight onto the grill or grill plate and cook for 3-4 minutes or until shells open. Using long tongs, quickly remove the open ones, to prevent over cooking and place in a large mixing bowl.
- To finish, pour over the butter sauce and add zest, parsley and tarragon, tossing together until well coated.
General cooking tips
- It is important to rinse the fresh pipis, before cooking, as the water in the bag is very salty.
- Frozen pipis cook in a very similar time frame to the fresh pipis when barbequing, steaming and poaching. They do take a little longer in the oven.
- To prevent overcooking it is best to remove the open shells and set them aside, especially on the barbecue.
- Any shells that do not open can be prised open or cooked further until they open.
Goolwa PiPiCo http://goolwapipico.com/