PIPIS IN XO SAUCE WITH CHINESE BROCCOLI AND HOKKIEN NOODLES
- 1kg Goolwa pipis, rinsed
- 1 bunch Chinese broccoli, trimmed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 500 fresh hokkien noodles
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 red shallots, peeled, halved and finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- ¼ cup XO sauce
- ¼ cup Shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoons light soy sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 long red chilli, sliced into rounds
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- Heat a wok over high heat, add 1 cup of water and bring to the boil. Add pipis, cover and cook for 3 minutes or until shells open. Drain and reserve.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain, refresh under cold water and set aside until required.
- Cook noodles according to pack instructions. Drain
- Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat, add shallots, garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes. Add XO sauce, wine, soy, stock and sugar, simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add cooked pipis, broccoli, noodles, chilli and spring onion, tossing to combine.
- To serve, sprinkle with coriander leaves.
General cooking tips
- It is important to rinse the fresh pipis, before cooking, as the water in the bag is very salty.
- Frozen pipis cook in a very similar time frame to the fresh pipis when barbequing, steaming and poaching. They do take a little longer in the oven.
- To prevent overcooking it is best to remove the open shells and set them aside, especially on the barbecue.
- Any shells that do not open can be prised open or cooked further until they open.
Goolwa PiPiCo http://goolwapipico.com/