PIPIS WITH CHORIZO, TOMATO & PARSELY
- 1kg Goolwa Pipis, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 chorizo, finely diced
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or vermouth
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 400g tin cherry or crushed tomatoes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley
- Heat olive oil, onion, garlic, paprika and chorizo together in a large saucepan over a low heat for 10 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Increase heat to medium, add sherry and cook for 2 minutes. Add stock and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, season with pepper.
- Add pipis, cover and cook for 3 minutes or until shells open.
- To finish, add parsley and serve with crusty bread.
General cooking tips
- It is important to rinse the fresh pipis, before cooking, as the water in the bag is very salty.
- Frozen pipis cook in a very similar time frame to the fresh pipis when barbequing, steaming and poaching. They do take a little longer in the oven.
- To prevent overcooking it is best to remove the open shells and set them aside, especially on the barbecue.
- Any shells that do not open can be prised open or cooked further until they open.
Goolwa PiPiCo http://goolwapipico.com/